[elky] Re: Oil Pan R&R

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 18:56:01 -0800

think it depends on time and money. If you have sufficient quantities of those, I'd say, 'go ahead'. Rebuilt the whole oil pan and oil system. And a nice fresh gasket put on correctly should cure the leaking problems. While you have it pulled apart change out everything you can, right? Mightaswells.

Mary
I'll start with the question: On a G-body El Camino like my '80, how
hard is it to remove the oil pan?  I have an engine hoist.

(I know my '80 is technically an A-body, maybe I should say "metric
chassis".)  The back story: I started an oil change and am considering
replacing the 8 quart pan on the 406 with a stock type pan (and
pickup).  Why?  The 8 quart pan leaks in the front, and leaks at the
rear but I don't know if that leak is the pan or the rear main seal.
(Also I'll need a stock type pan if/when I add a single turbo).  These
leaks are not new, they've been there since I built the engine.  Can a
small block Chevy be leak free?

When I built the engine I used a Melling Select oil pump; the 406 has
great pressure at startup and at any RPM over idle (as high as 80
PSI!).  At hot idle the gauge shows 10 PSI or less, which is unnerving
- but I've just read that the "C" series of these pumps have
anti-cavitation grooves which causes a low oil pressure at idle.  The
problem is I can't find the receipt to remind me which pump I bought
(frustrating since I save receipts).  I know it was a Melling Select
pump and the corresponding bolt-on pickup.  Some say the pressure is
fine as long as there is oil pressure... part of the problem is the
EFI is calibrated rich which is putting fuel in the oil, thinning it.
I'm considering swapping the oil pump while I'm in there.

Items I would need to disconnect before lifting the engine to get the pan out:

Distributor Cap
Exhaust
Engine Mounts
Fuel line
Other items?

If I can swap the pan without draining the coolant and disconnecting
the transmission I'll do it...

Input?  Suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris