[elky] Re: OT: water heater

  • From: "ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:22:03 -0500

       The raising is for fume ignition and iirc it's 18".  The stands are
nice for electrics too if you are replacing a tall skinny with a short fat.
The lines will meet up with a stand and you get a little storage cubby
under the water heater.

      As for draining to remove sediment... Draining will not remove
sediment. The only way to remove sediment is to remove the lower heating
element (electric) and using a home meade tool scrape it out and suck it
out with a vac. Here the sediment will be about 4" deep within just a
couple years.

         Sediment build up causes the heater to use more elec since it's
heating the sediment which is an insulator instead of the water.
Waterheaters need to be built with a cone on the bottom and a center drain.

     And some very few times you can get a little gunk out through the
drain but the only way is to NOT turn the heater off and keep full water
pressure on it. Letting the water cool and letting gravity drain it does
nothing. An use a good hose cause garden hoses are not made for heat.

         Oh and the shower is just awaiting tiling now...

                Robert Adams

th;ank you.  That's what I wanted to mention to you Ray.  Code changes may
require the water heater be on a stand now.  Ours is on the floor, but code
now it up on a stand or raised platform.  I forget why.

YOu are supposed to hook a hose to it annually and drain it to get rid of
that sediment.  hahhahahahaha.  LIke I got nuthin' better to do.  We
replaced the pressure tank a few years ago so I assume most of our sediment
is stopped there before it gets to the water heater.

Mary

> In my current house, it's on a platform in the attic close to the  attic
> stairs, which are in the garage.  It will be relatively easy to  change
> when the time comes.
>
> We're replaced more heaters due to sediment than to actually breaking
> down.  Anyone notice how much heavier an old heater is than the new  one?
> It's not all due to construction differences.
>

> On Jan 12, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Mary McCarthy wrote:
>
>> When these things are initally installed it should be obvious that  at
>> some point you are going to have to change it, so it should be  put
where
>> its easily accessible.
>>

>> They are hard to change when they're in the attic in a second-story
>> house. ;-)
>

> Rules: Please play nicely with others.
>
> -List members page (text & pic links):
> http://www.myelcamino.net/eclist.htm
> -List members page (all pics):
> http://www.myelcamino.net/ec_list.htm

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft® Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE