[elky] Re: OT (as usual) 1953 Chevy floor pans

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:24:50 -0800

$800 is a good price for that. It IS a rust puppy but it looks fairly complete (it's those nickel and dime things that kill you).

I'd price the windshield, try and use it to lower the price and make a low offer. Perhaps it would pay to have it shipped to you, if you can save enough on the cost. We're all getting old and sometimes have to do things a little simpler way. (The Amazon Solution).

I dunno. If it was me, I'd let it go and look for something closer, If you weren't looking, would you buy it? I guess that's the question. Personally, those early 50's bodies have been gaining in popularity, especially among the low rider crowd. I spoze I'd set a budget, and see if I could do for that. Put a dollar amount on what you need to bring it up to marketable and how much you could realistically sell it for. The market is exceptionally bad, at last April's swap meet some pretty nice project cars were almost being given away.

I think you should wait a few days and continue to research. Obviously I cannot make that decision for you, not sure I could make it for myself, but you want to be sure when you do make it, right?

Mary

I looked around and found a lotta different floorpan metal. I'd have to do more to see which is to be avoided, etc. I've gone the route of "bolt-ons" and understand the amount of cut and paste required. As far as the pans are concerned, I've done it before and the biggest hassle was cutting the old stuff out. But that was before I had an air chisel. I used a Sawzall but couldn't use it everywhere. Anyway, I know it'd be a picture puzzle thing but nothing that a little bit of welding couldn't deal with.

As far as rusty projects...well..is there any other kind? At least not in my experience.

Right now this is a 50-50 deal. I may and I may not do it. And I may not do it until March.

I've given a lotta consideration to the photo business. I only make money on the salt flats. Add to that the fact that Miller Motorsports Park appears to be headed toward a motorcycle and off-road-based deal...well, it looks like I'm gonna be cuttin back. It's like I've explored the possibilities and now I'll focus on what I want to do and where I can make money.

As far as the Monte project, that's still on the front burner. It will need to take priority to get it ready to race on the salt. But if things should happen to work out with the 53, it'd end up being a "diamond in the rough" cruiser with the existing faded paint/patina on the exterior and with a little luck, the stock 235 and 3 on the tree still in it. I'd have to replace the seats and get a new windshield, but that's the majority of the visible stuff. Bleeve me, I know the hidden stuff can kill ya. I learned that with every project I've ever undertaken. But at the same time, I've enjoyed all percent of 'em. The enjoyment factor can't be factored into cost, nor can the "vacation" cost of the trip to pick it up...it's in Michigan. But that would give me a chance to visit some friends and do a road trip. I've had worse trips and I'd use a 2-axle trailer...none of the flat-towing deal.

So there's the story. If I were to get it into driveable shape...well, I know there's a market for it. Just being a 2-dr virtually guarantees that. I also know it's a huge undertaking, and if I had half a lick of sense, I'd probably tell myself to forget it. But it just keeps showing up in my face and at the price ($800) I can hardly dismiss it out of hand.