[elky] Re: OT (as usual) 1953 Chevy floor pans

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:53:57 -0700

I looked around and found a lotta different floorpan metal. I'd have to do more to see which is to be avoided, etc. I've gone the route of "bolt-ons" and understand the amount of cut and paste required. As far as the pans are concerned, I've done it before and the biggest hassle was cutting the old stuff out. But that was before I had an air chisel. I used a Sawzall but couldn't use it everywhere. Anyway, I know it'd be a picture puzzle thing but nothing that a little bit of welding couldn't deal with.

As far as rusty projects...well..is there any other kind? At least not in my experience.

Right now this is a 50-50 deal. I may and I may not do it. And I may not do it until March.

I've given a lotta consideration to the photo business. I only make money on the salt flats. Add to that the fact that Miller Motorsports Park appears to be headed toward a motorcycle and off-road-based deal...well, it looks like I'm gonna be cuttin back. It's like I've explored the possibilities and now I'll focus on what I want to do and where I can make money.

As far as the Monte project, that's still on the front burner. It will need to take priority to get it ready to race on the salt. But if things should happen to work out with the 53, it'd end up being a "diamond in the rough" cruiser with the existing faded paint/patina on the exterior and with a little luck, the stock 235 and 3 on the tree still in it. I'd have to replace the seats and get a new windshield, but that's the majority of the visible stuff. Bleeve me, I know the hidden stuff can kill ya. I learned that with every project I've ever undertaken. But at the same time, I've enjoyed all percent of 'em. The enjoyment factor can't be factored into cost, nor can the "vacation" cost of the trip to pick it up...it's in Michigan. But that would give me a chance to visit some friends and do a road trip. I've had worse trips and I'd use a 2-axle trailer...none of the flat-towing deal.

So there's the story. If I were to get it into driveable shape...well, I know there's a market for it. Just being a 2-dr virtually guarantees that. I also know it's a huge undertaking, and if I had half a lick of sense, I'd probably tell myself to forget it. But it just keeps showing up in my face and at the price ($800) I can hardly dismiss it out of hand.

On 12/1/2010 10:55 AM, Chris Lindh wrote:
I do not have a source for sheetmetal.  I bought fenders, inner
fenders&  core support for my '68 Chevelle, and the horror stories
you've heard with Taiwanese sheetmetal are all true.  Each piece may
look correct, but when you attempt to put it all together the bolt
holes don't line up (and this is bolting all the NEW parts together).
Luckily the car and parts are now in paint jail... out of sight...

That's why you see the vendors grading the sheetmetal now, good, fair,
etc.  Keep customers expectations low.

Back to your question it appears '53 floor pieces are available, but
not entire floor pans.  If you decide to purchase I know a couple
people at the restoration companies...

That said... rusty projects take an inordinate amount of time, money
and patience.  I won't tell you not to do it, but I would suggest
mapping out the whole project, then double or triple your estimated
budget.  My Chevelle is relatively rust free, but I don't want to
think about what I've spent or will spend before it's done.

With your Monte project, the photo biz, etc., is there time for
another project? and if it's a '53 would a rust free '53 make more
sense, even though it would be significantly more expensive?

Not trying to be negative (Abandon hope all ye who enter here).

Chris

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Ray Buck<rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Chris: can you get floor pans (and a trunk pan) for a 53 Chevy 150 2-dr
sedan?  I think they otta be the same as a BelAir.  If not, the BelAir pans
otta be close enough that they could be made to work (they might be a coupla
inches longer.)

I've found one that just keeps cryin out to me and...well, the price is such
that I'm just about at the point where I can't let it go to the shredder and
it might even be a profitable turnaround...if not something I could drive to
cruise nites.  I'm sure the ol debbil hisself is pushin me from behind, but
I seem to be lettin him.  :)

-List members page (text&  pic links):