[elky] Re: OT (as usual) 1953 Chevy floor pans

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:55:04 -0500

I do not have a source for sheetmetal.  I bought fenders, inner
fenders & core support for my '68 Chevelle, and the horror stories
you've heard with Taiwanese sheetmetal are all true.  Each piece may
look correct, but when you attempt to put it all together the bolt
holes don't line up (and this is bolting all the NEW parts together).
Luckily the car and parts are now in paint jail... out of sight...

That's why you see the vendors grading the sheetmetal now, good, fair,
etc.  Keep customers expectations low.

Back to your question it appears '53 floor pieces are available, but
not entire floor pans.  If you decide to purchase I know a couple
people at the restoration companies...

That said... rusty projects take an inordinate amount of time, money
and patience.  I won't tell you not to do it, but I would suggest
mapping out the whole project, then double or triple your estimated
budget.  My Chevelle is relatively rust free, but I don't want to
think about what I've spent or will spend before it's done.

With your Monte project, the photo biz, etc., is there time for
another project? and if it's a '53 would a rust free '53 make more
sense, even though it would be significantly more expensive?

Not trying to be negative (Abandon hope all ye who enter here).

Chris