[elky] Re: OT: Whatizzit?

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 17:34:06 -0600

A fella on the Nova list identified it. It's a 53 Plymouth Cranbrook. A one-year-only deal.

(another mystery solved)

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 4/6/2010 1:08 PM, Mary McCarthy wrote:
looks like it has WA plates. could be anything, we don't have no stinkin laws about what's a car.

Mary
I'm stumped. I can't tell what make and year this car is. The grill teeth are 51 DeSoto, as are the parking lights, but the character line that leads from 'em back over the front wheels aren't. I'm thinkin that part is kustom, like the frenched headlights.

It has an attempt at a Carson-style top and the windshield is cut down...it has a slight resemblance to a 52-54 Ford. The raised panel on the quarter panel resembles that year Ford, too...but it's too high. The stock Ford's panel would be where the attempt at a rear fender skirt is. Same for that vintage Lincoln and Mercury. A 56 Merc has a similar raised panel, but it is raised about twice as much as the panel on the kustom.

The panel where the skirt is mounted is similar to the treatment the front wheel well got, including the red and black striping.

The hubcaps are Dodge Lancer 4-bar spinners with a chrome bullet at the center. The lakes pipes...well, they appear to be functional, but don't help identify the car.

The spotlights are mounted in a "non-standard" manner...the thing in the 50s was to have Appleton spots angled down so the lens wasn't visible. There were tons of "dummy spots" on kustoms....they were...uhhh....decorative. Yeah, that's it. Decorative.

I wish I'd gotten a shot of the rear end...but for some reason, I didn't. Maybe cuz there were way more cars than I could shoot in a day. I spent 6 or so hours just shooting anything that stood still or moved...and I got photos of maybe half of 'em.

So if ya got any ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.