[elky] Re: [OT] Backup: Mirror or File by File

  • From: Robert Adams <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:04:09 -0500

I have ~56GB of data on the home PC.  Some of it is important, so I've
been backing up folders using Microsoft's SyncToy.  Now I'm wondering
if I should have a mirror backup (an exact copy of my hard drive)
instead of doing file by file, or maybe I should do both?  My backup
external drive is 160GB, and I've got another 250GB I'm not using.

A mirrored drive is nice since you can just plug it in and you're back
in business, at least up to the point of the last backup.  With file
by file you have more work to rebuild.

If you guys are doing mirrored backups, what software are you using?

Thanks!
Chris

I prefer a mirrored drive to just backing up data files. In my case it's the programs that I need backed up as they are the hard part to get back to where they should be. I can't just reload the program and dump in data files and everything is back to normal. That's really true of FSX which is even more of a pain if on Vista as Vista has a screwed up file system compared to XP. It dumps allot of CFG files into the users area instead of the main program file where it belongs. Makes it a real pain to keep everything working and during program modifications. A typical backup is worthless with the programs I use and how I use/modify them.

As for software well it's real simple I just copy the C drive to another drive. That way I can drop it in and it's up and running again other than some possible xp/vista checks to MS to verify. If the house burns down I don't care much cause it's one of the least important things at that point.