[elky] Re: Non Elky Tatting was Re: Re: Christmas Walk, Geneva, IL - Live Mannequin

  • From: "Rick Draganowski" <dragan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 09:54:50 -0800

Here is the Alpine Butterfly Mary.

http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php?Categ=climbing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Rick Draganowski
(Soli Deo Gloria)

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mary McCarthy
  To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 9:42 AM
  Subject: [elky] Re: Non Elky Tatting was Re: Re: Christmas Walk, Geneva, IL -
Live Mannequin

  Thanks for the interest, glad tatting could help.   And the shuttle isn't
absolutely necessary - we call the end of the thread, the 'itty bitty tatting
shuttle'.  I am continually amazed at how someone can take a piece of string,
create infinite designs with just a ring and a chain and manipulate them in
ways to enable the most complicated of techniques.

  Unfortunately the threads on Egyptian mummies rotted away but it is believed
they tatted, too.  Something held their beads together.   It's like pinstriping
- they pinstriped their chariots.   Our history is hazy because patterns
weren't published until around the civil war and a lot has been thrown away
because 'no one does that anymore'.

  I'll have to look up that Alpine Butterfly knot.

  wasn't me on the viola.  Sorry, wish I'd thought of it for you.
  Someone sure was nice.

  Mary

    This is weird. I did a little study on tatting since I know nothing.
Interesting and beautiful that with just your hands and a shuttle you can make
lace. The tatting study led to knots since that is the basis. Then the knots
led me to discover the noble Alpine Butterfly knot which I wish I knew many
times in the past in fishing and sailing and climbing and construction.

    So Tatting helped my fishing.

    Thanks Mary.

    Rick Draganowski
    (Soli Deo Gloria)

    p.s. Some think that tatting was started long ago by the people who made
fishnets. So fishing helped Tatting.

    p.p.s. Someone signed me up to the Yahoo Viola group. Did anyone here do
it? I like it and downloaded a contemporary Viola solo sheet music from Italy
this morning. Nice people.