[elky] Re: Monte - Lockup resolved

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 22:27:51 -0600

              Here is one I took the other day... New sill plates new floor
joists. Just about ready to pull the tongue and groove from between the rim
joist and wall and slide in new 4x8 decking. I hate tongue and groove
subflooring in old houses and it looks like this stuff was reused from
another house as was some of the floor joists. The blocking in the middle is
the old cut up floor joist. It's slightly narrower than the modern lumber
too.  Also I block between the joists up against the rim joist. This should
be standard practice as it makes the structure amazingly more sturdy and can
be made from any old scrap. It locks the floor joists vertical and it also
supports the wall above it acting as a double to the rim joist.

                  I picked up some more 2x8 to cut up for blocking. I keep
looking for it in the cull bin since it all ends up 14 1/2" long so a warp
is no biggie when 4' sections are 50 cents.  Got a few more 2x6 as I'm going
to replace sill plate under the other half of what will be the laundry room
and one sheet of decking... Only one sheet fits int he wagon cause it's just
barely wide enough to carry it... Really need a trailer but don't want a big
one but how to carry 20' boards...

                       Oh and it looks like I will be adding a window to the
laundry room.. On the back wall in the pic towards the right.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/elcam84/new%20house/12102010271.jpg

[IMG]
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/elcam84/new%20house/12102010271.jpg[/IMG]

                       Robert Adams