[elky] Introduction

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: El Camino List <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:21:19 -0500

Welcome Arlo!

I have been on the list since almost the beginning. I have been trying to
figure out when that was..... but I think it has been at least 1997 or 1998.
Long enough to tell you that it is a fine bunch of people. Everyone is
sincere. We do not always stay on topic, but if you have an issue with the
car or the kitchen sink, you can draw on everyone';s experience, and count
on their help and advice.

I'm in my mid 50's and have always worked on cars out of necessity. I
started working on them for fun when it came to the El Camino, and that's
when I joined the list. I have a 1984 El Camino, and a 1987 Monte Carlo SS.
They can be seen here: http://www.myelcamino.net I have gone from a stock
original V8 car to a 350 ex jet boat duty, mild cam and 10:1 racing pistons,
I am guessing in the 300 HP range, but everything I have done is to build
torque. The rear gears are now 3.23, and I would love to change the 350C
tranny to an overdrive unit. Although I did the exhaust 11 years ago, it's
time for an upgrade. I have shorty headers, but they may change with newer
exhaust. Parts for a serpentine swap is sitting in wait. I converted to
throttle body injection when I couldn't pass emissions, but I am now exempt.
I just upgraded the TBI unit and added a spacer. I have done all sorts of
suspension upgrades including F-41 parts, SS rate springs, the biggest sway
bars I could find, Billstein's all around, and air bags inside the rear
coils. All this stuff is on the web site I started 14 years ago.

The nickname for my Elky is "Elkenstein". All sorts of parts from many
different vehicles, and it dies but keeps coming back to life. If it fits

Give the list a shot, I look forward to hearing more about your ride.

1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net