[elky] Re: Finally a day under 100* and water falling from the sky!!! And a pic of the face frames for the laundry room cabinets

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:16:32 -0500

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  Just taking a quick break here before Sandwich Of The Day (or Fix a Plate
> and Take it Outside).   Put down a lot of tile but still have a lot to go.
> Pretty.  A little darker than it looked at HD but I like it.  Kinda
> pre-dirty.  All it would need to make it perfect would be pre-applied paw
> prints.

              That's the same plan for the laundry room. Got some redish
brown tile the PO left and the sand will blend in well. I'm 5 tiles short...
Trying to find another box before I put it down. I may end up putting a
similar tile down under the cabinets where they won't be seen. I like all
the tile to be in then put in the cabinets.

> hmmm- I can see the auto paints in the laundry.  Take a beating and still
> look nice.  Nice face frames, btw.  You definitely want raised panels -
> otherwise it looks like a plywood kitchen.

           Got a few different styles I'm looking at making. Going to go for
an arts and crafts look in the rest of the house so I will make them a
painted version of that. Not worried about that till I get them in place...
The lowers will all be drawers and same with the tall cabinet. Drawers are
much more usable than a shelf.

>   We ended up not rearranging the cabinets because (get this) we opened an
> exploratory hole where we wanted the doorway and inside is the sink drain
> running horizontally inside the wall.  (to where?)  aggghhhh.

                Yeah Know how those are. Allot of plumbing runs are done to
use as little pipe and vents as possible. Really every drain should have
it's own vent going up the wall but it's a pain to do. You can tie multiple
vents together (to a point) and have less roof penetrations.

> yeah, that particle board is awful stuff.  The way it crumbled and was dry
> and dirty (house was built in '96) I'd be very wary of it used in a house
> structurally.

            I'm surprised to see a house that new with PB floors. I do like
PB for some things but floors aren't it... There are some new particle
boards now made out of basically grasses and they are quite a bit stronger
than the conventional yellow pine or whatever we have to shred up stuff.
Some even have water resistant glues as well.

                Most cabinets are made from PB and anything melamine is PB
underneath. It's easier to work with cause it's flat and stays flat.
Building and installing cabinets made out of plywood can often be a struggle
with warping plywood. It warps as it sits in the shop...

>   It all fit into garbage bags, all small pieces.  According to our dump
> receipt, we took 800 lbs. in. The Hardie backer replaced it.  I really like
> that stuff.  The Durock seemed more like flaky cement in a mesh bag.  The
> lines on it really helped amateurs like us, too.   Little hard to screw
> into, but nice to cut and whatnot, but Dan conquered it nicely.

           Yup I'm not a fan of durok. I need 4x8 sheets of 1/4 hardiebacker
but not even the commercial yards carry it. The 1/4 is actually better than
the 1/2" in strength and 1/2 is mainly used if you have to make up floor
thickness.

> Hot here today - 86* but the humidity is only 23%, good for drying tile
> mastic.
>
> Mary

                             106* and 30% humidity here as usual.Heat index
is typically around 110 every day... Lows at night are barely hitting 85
before the sun comes up. In the 90s till the early hours of the morning too.

                        Robert Adams