[elky] Re: Finally a day under 100* and water falling from the sky!!! And a pic of the face frames for the laundry room cabinets

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:56:04 -0700

Weather sounds a little more liveable.  good to hear.

Instead of paint, what about a white stain on the oak - the grain will show but it will be light and easy to keep clean with a clear topcoat? couldn't get the photo link to do anything, but it sounds nice. Laundry used to be a washing machine in the basement but times change; it's nice to have a place for 'clothing maintenance'.

We're working on the kitchen/bath/laundry complex. Who knew it would take a week to get the flooring up? It was cheeeeep vinyl glued to particle board with a bizzilion nails holding it down. But HD is delivering a bunch of tile and backer board Tuesday. We should have the mess cleaned up by then. Tomorrow is Trip No. 2 to the dump with bags of particles. But so far, so good - nothing broken and no one seriously injured. Found an incredible mouse mess under the vanity in the bathroom, yuck.

And we took Thursday off to go to the county fair - highlight is a barn full of fire engines and fire trucks (I now know there is a difference). they dated from 1805 to 2011. The ones from the late 20's had straight 6's in them - 1300 ci 6's. cylinders so big they need 2 spark plugs. Way cool.

I want one.

Mary

Well Saturday was the first day it didn't hit 100*. It was only 88* and the low was 72*. We haven't seen 72* outside in months and rarely inside unless you are in a refrigerator or a movie theater. The high has been 100* or higher since the end of MAY so around 80 days straight... The *official* numbers at DFW are always skewed from the actual numbers and show cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter compared to everywhere else.... It started raining early sat morning and some areas got up to 1.5". We got about 1" which brings us up to about 2" for the year. It's been overcast all day here for the most part and I hoped we would get another day under 100* but as usual no... It's been 100* since about 3:00 and miserable humidity as the ground is wet... So at least we got a short break from the heat and a little moisture. Tomorrow we are back to 104* as usual and no change for quite a while...

So since it was nice yesterday I fired up the AC in the shop early and got out there and did a bunch of clean up and for a change built something for the house instead of for someone else. It was too wet and muggy to work on the luandry room so I got the sink size etc and started designing the cabinets for the laundry room and made the two face frames for them. Made them out of scrap red oak from other jobs. The tall one will be next to the stacked washer and dryer and won't be attached too tightly in place so it can be removed for washer and dryer maintenance. I haven't put the cross pieces in the frame because I haven't figured out how the drawers and doors will lay out. The lowers will be drawers and the uppers will be doors. The sink cabinet will also have more drawers. The outer two holes below the small drawers will house probably two drawers each. So 3 on each side and the middle will be doors due to the sink which is rather deep and wide 33" wide x 12" deep. The counter top will extend about 10" off to the left of the lower cabinet. All will end up being painted in the laundry room. Still need to figure out what the walls are going to be... Probably beadboard up to the window sill then painted drywall above that to a detailed ceiling of some sort. I know some will ask why I would paint the oak but... I had the oak and would have to order paint grade maple so....

Anyway at least I finally had a day in the shop to do something for me instead of a job. Course back to others stuff tomorrow. Oh and the shop was very nice yesterday... Was mid 70s in the shop before lunch.... Went in for lunch then came back out and it was down to 65 already. Sure does get nice and cold when it's not 100* out....

001-5.jpg