[elky] Dipstick

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:28:37 -0400

I've lost the Hot Rodding Manual!

If I had the manual surely there would have been at least a page
devoted to "Items you need when building a Small Block Chevy from a
bare block" (at which point I would have reconsidered building from a
bare block, the list is LONG.)

When I built my 406 I bought a chrome dipstick & tube from the local
parts store.  At various times said dipstick has come in contact with
the crankshaft (!).  Until just moments ago this was a mystery to me,
until I discovered a part known as the "lower dipstick tube"
(GM3951600).  Having never known about this part I certainly never
installed one...

The question I have: can this lower dipstick tube be installed from
the top?  Some say it can, that you install this lower tube then
install the upper tube.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Chris