[elky] Re: Crossin fingers on my Camaro

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:42:29 -0600

Thanks for the hopes and others' finger crossing. All that was needed was a little repair of the center brake light that ran $15 in addition to the inspection and emission fees. Total, $69. Add $20 for gas. It blew a flat zero for HC in the exhaust. The guy who ran the test said that it wasn't running very well, but it passed. I couldn't tell him that his car prolly wouldn't run very well if it was running 40-50 percent alcohol. I'm kinda surprised they didn't say something cuz I could smell the alky as I was driving away. That's where the $20 in gas went. First Sinclair station I came to, I stopped and was gonna fill it up, but the young lady botched a credit card transaction for the guy in front of me in line 3 times in a row and the pump card reader wasn't working, so I just pulled out a twenty and asked her to put it on the pump.

Then I went to the DMV, turned in the paperwork and got license plates that expire next June. Not when I got the registration completed, but when I started it. Damn! At least I'd already paid everything at that time so there were no additional taxes or fees.

Funny thing...once it got some real gas in the tank, it started running very nicely. I spun it up to 5500 in 1st and 2nd and it seemed perfectly happy to do that. At least I have that one off my list of things to do. After all the stuff from the other day, today's success (I dunno about anyone else, but it seems to be a running battle between me and the smog nazis) and a coupla other things that I was able to finish yesterday, I feel like a big load is off my shoulders.

Ohh...the kid that had been mowing my lawn reneged on his contract and told me that my pre-pay (which was for the entire year) was up and I'd have to start paying him $100 a month to continue. I didn't bother to call him back. So last night I heard my neighbor out mowing his lawn. I asked if I could possibly borrow his lawnmower to run over my front lawn and he said he'd do it...which he did. I asked if he had any special car interests and for some reason I asked about Tri-5s. He said, "Yanno, I've always had a thing for 55 Chevys." I didn't have any prints of them handy, so I showed him one of a 57 BelAir and a 58 Corvette in 11x14 size that I had in my folio in the Burb. He said, "Oh. I love the older Corvettes." So I handed him a matched set, the 58 (yellow) and a red 57 and he seemed very grateful for them. I'll also get him a print of a 55 to thank him for doing the lawn. Guess I'm gonna have to find someone else to do the lawn next year.

So all in all things is goin pretty good. Another thing: No vanity plate on the Camaro at the moment. I'm gonna drive it for a while before I decide whether I'm gonna put one on it or not.

Tomorrow Jim and I will see about getting the driveshaft in the race car and testing the new ramps so I can get it off the trailer and into the garage.

Enuff.

On 10/26/2011 4:02 PM, Robert Adams wrote:
Hoping for the best. Inspection time is always a nervous experience.

                         Robert Adams

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    The beater Camaro is at a shop for safety and emission testing
    today so I can get it legally licensed and even use it as a
    driver, grocery getter and parts chaser.

    It's got about 40 percent alcohol in the tank, just in case the
    cat or other smoggy things aren't quite up to par.  I should know
    a little later in the day.