[elky] Busy Sunday

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: El Camino List <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Straiker <tmstraiker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 18:45:47 -0500

I woke up this morning and took the El Camino to the school. It was 80 and
sunny, just beautiful today. Tom was working on painting the Gator School
Colors of Black and Orange, instead of John Deer Green and yellow. They use
it at the field during games I think. So he was there with one of the kids
from the Auto Club.

I put it up on the lift right after I got there, and it was just as I
suspected, the rubber hose to tank tube connection was leaking at the return
line. This is actually the old fuel sending line, and is bigger in diameter.
Robert made a new supply line when he modified my sending unit for the pump.
I had a Fuel injection style clamp on it that was a bit too big. So the hose
was crimping with a little V in it that made it leak. Putting a standard
style smaller clamp on it cleared up the problem right away. Thanks to Tom
for that clamp and the opportunity to use the lift.

Elkenstein is running and driving as good as it ever has. Any of you that
want to drive it are welcome. It's a treat for me, I can tell you. It even
sounds different with adequate fuel pressure coming from the new pump. When
I am cruising, I can mash it, and it has torque galore. I still have yet to
put it to the floor, Not that I am afraid of what will happen when it breaks
loose, but that I want to keep a decent rate on my insurance, and I honestly
have more motor than I can use driving around the streets here. I need to
find an autocross or something. To say it feels tight is an understatement.
Very confident feel. Firm, but predictable, and if I push it, something else
will be the weak link now, and not the structure. No rattles at all now.

It's hard to say what will be next on the list, but I have a list. Not in
this order, but some will have to happen at the same time.

   - Now that the fuel pump is in, I am going to get the performance chip
   burned. Just need to confirm all the data again first. I'll be gathering
   some more.
   - OVERDRIVE ... I have a line on a 2004r built up for 500HP tolerance.
   The guy spent $450 on it, and wants to get that out of it. I am saving to
   give it to him.
   - I will need a double hump cross member to change the exhaust, and will
   have to modify the frame a bit..... but it just so happens that I have a
   welder now.
   - I will at least need to change one side of the headers, but will
   probably do both. Anyone have preferences here?
   - I have been looking at side pipes, and I just love them. If I don't do
   that, I may come out before the wheels kind of like Ray's approach only both
   sides. But I like side pipes, and it makes it look even lower. See this

link<http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Exhaust/737/H1050/10002/-1?parentProductId=>
   - Wheels.... Going to go with Gray center Torque Thrust II or M in 17" to
   allow for big brakes.
   - Did I mention Big Brakes? Robert had a set up he was talking about,
   using larger S-10 Rotors, and spindles, and tubular upper A arms.
   - To get the power to the ground I would need at least tubular rear
   control arms, and probably a Posi too. The 3.23 gears will be fine. 26
   spline, 3.08 or numerically higher posi carrier is what I am looking for.

I figure about 2 years to get this done. 3 if I am not lucky on parts
acquisition.

Then, I got the window replaced in the kitchen. My neighbor Jose came over
to help me with peeling back the siding and wrestling it in to place. It was
a great help, adn I really appreciated it. I just have to finish the wood
framing inside now. I'll probably use Oak to match the cabinets.

Now it's time for a cup of coffee, and some CAD work while Cindy is at her
book club. Is anyone else tired just reading this? Great day.