[elky] Re: Burb's A/C clutch squealing

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 18:21:59 -0600

Sounds about like what I figgered. Is this stuff something you sell, Chris? If so, I'd rather give you the business than Otter Zone or Oh, Really?'s

I was at the Otter place today to find out that out of three things, they only had one, which was Bosch Super plugs for the Monte Carlo. Remember that one? Well, it's back in the garage with the idea of gettin it ready to race. Today we concentrated on brakes. We cleaned all the 25-year-old junk outta the master cylinder and lines and found that we need a coupla bleeder valves for the rear brakes. They should be available tomorrow, but I'm gonna try to do an early shoot at a car show 90 miles north of me. It runs Friday AND Saturday. I'm gonna try to be there early Friday in hopes of beating the Mongol Hordes that descend on the place accompanied by herds of untamed house apes that run screaming and hollering right through wherever it is that I have my camera pointed.

Anyway, the Otters want $169 for a new compressor, but it's a special order deal and $139 for a rebuilt unit. I'm not sure how that stacks up against other outlet's prices. So, Chris, if you sell this, please let me know.

I finished the photos from the club race along with posters for sale. I put 'em on the local SCCA forum. So far no bites, but it's only been up there for...well, less than 24 hours:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2010/2010061920/Welcome.html

I'm workin on last Saturday's car show and then I have the shots of that pro-wrasslin off-road roller-derby kinda thing. I'd like to get it all caught up before I shoot the next one, but it ain't likely to happen. I have a few days before the ALMS race and I hope to use it to catch up on stuff. I'm anything but bored.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 7/1/2010 1:09 PM, Chris Lindh wrote:
I believe that is the death-rattle, and it is best to replace it
before it dies (sending shrapnel throughout the A/C system).  You'll
want to replace the compressor, orifice tube&  filter drier.  I assume
it uses R134A, which you can still get.  I used Harbor Frieght
gauges... they worked OK... worth what I paid.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Ray Buck<rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
If it's not one thing it's another.  The Burb's A/C compressor clutch is
makin one hell of a racket (squealing, scraping) when it engages.  It's
worst when it first fires up, then makes a little noise as it re-engages
periodically.  Not nearly as much after it's been run for a while.

My guess is that I'm gonna need a new compressor...unless someone has
something up their sleeve.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Rules: Please play nicely with others.

-List members page (text&  pic links):