[elky] Re: Bed Cover Options

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:50:59 -0400

I see the camper tops on Craigslist, and the prices are all over the
place.  Sure they are "rare" but rare does not necessarily mean
valuable.  A camper top would give me more covered space for boxes I
take to be shipped (the reason I need a cover), but the ones I have
seen look odd.  A camper looks right on a truck because the bed is
flat, parallel to the ground.  On an El Camino the bed rails slope up
to the roof.

I think the Craftec cover is the answer, looks like a quality product
made by a good company.  I'm leery of vinyl, branches fall where I
park the '80, the tailgate got smashed by a branch.  I already had a
replacement tailgate, since the original also has bondo cracking off.
I'd like to put a metal car port at the end of the driveway.

I'll look for a fiberglass cover until the Volvo sells, if I haven't
found one locally I'll go for the Craftec.

I've finally bought a solution to getting my projects up and down my
steep backyard: I bought a winch and a hitch receiver mount to attach
to the back of my truck.  The winch comes with a wireless remote, so
I'm hoping I can operate it from the vehicle being pulled, so if
something lets go I can hit the brakes so the car won't go rolling
down the hill.