[elky] Re: Attitude toward selling (was: The dance of the sugar plum sports car fairies)

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:29:39 -0500

I still get out on the sales floor occasionally, but it's a lot less these
days. Can't say I miss it much.

I am a real information hound. Men that purchase in our biz are the same
way. The ladies are very interested in details too. So my 'soft sell' angle
has been to educate the customer a lot. Then they know you are on top of
things, and trust you. The guy that rebuilt my engine, educated me over the
counter a lot. He did it freely, and gained my respect and trust. You don't
have to sound like a know it all, you just share interesting info. Tell them
something they don't know or didn't think about as a distraction, then ask
for the money. <G> Most times, the last word on the way out the door, is "I
really learned something". That is a feel good for me too.

FWIW