[elky] Re: AAA card...or not

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:48:59 -0400 (EDT)

I see you have it planned, but just for discussion sake, since it's souly a
 racecar, maybe cut a hole in stock hood, and let air filter sit in 135 MPH
wind.  Same as cold ram air, and avoid all the plumbing over the engine.
Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 7/22/2011 12:22:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It's needed.  The carb  won't clear the hood with the single-plane manifold
and 1" spacer...not to  mention the cold air intake:

Alla that stuff brings the top of the air cleaner  about 3" above the
normal hood line.  The hood has a 4 3/4" raised  section.  I figgered 6" was
overkill.  :)

On  7/22/2011 9:54 AM, _STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx)  wrote:
Is the raised hood a necessity, or for looks?

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 7/22/2011 11:25:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx)  writes:

I could have been that, but  it wouldn't restart until it had cooled off.
The O/P at idle  is around 10 psi and runs at 40 (when hot) at around 2500
rpm.  It's about what I'd expect in a motor with that many miles on  it.

Last nite I was gonna install the glass hood on the race car,  but decided
I'd looked at the peeling paint on the nose for long  enough.  I scraped,
sanded and cleaned, then gave it a quick shot of  black:

The lens kinda distorts it a bit, but it looks like  what it is: a
rattle-can job that covers the cracked/peeled areas.   "Better'n it wuz."  ;)

I'll paint the underside of the hood  silver and the top flat black for the
time  being.

JPEG image