[elky] Re: A slightly unusual battery charger

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:54:04 -0700

I'm with you on that, Dan. Every year we drive through the Columbia Gorge and there are more windmills. Going down I84 is a dance of dodging huge trucks bringing the parts in. You would think it would be smarter to just make them here. then to add insult to injury the state requires utilities to use a certain percentage of renewable energy so we pay more for the windmills. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great idea (farmers and the FAA don't necessarily agree) but I think we also need to be smarter about producing them.

solar here is kinda 'iffy' although those folks over at the county fair selling them swear they work on cloudy days, too. (she said sarcastically).

Mary

Good for you; your area would seem great for that. Does your local utility buy the power you produce and then give you credit against your bill?

It's good to see at least the Evergreen panels are US made. In Arizona they get tax credits for installing China-made panels.

What really torques me off is our regional utility brags about all the "green" wind power units they are installing and getting tax credits for, and the damn things are made in Brazil and shipped up here. If there is a savings grace they aren't being intalled by Chinese; but maybe by those other illegal types, ya never know.

Enough ranting for one night, but with jobs so damn scarce I resent tax credits being used to create jobs in foreign countries.