[elky] Re: A slightly unusual battery charger

  • From: Dann Keller <kwhale22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ray Buck et al <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 20:33:54 -0700

Good for you; your area would seem great for that.  Does your local utility buy
the power you produce and then give you credit against your bill?

It's good to see at least the Evergreen panels are US made.  In Arizona they
get tax credits for installing China-made panels.

What really torques me off is our regional utility brags about all the "green"
wind power units they are installing and getting tax credits for, and the damn
things are made in Brazil and shipped up here.    If there is a savings grace
they aren't being intalled by Chinese; but maybe by those other illegal types,
ya never know.

Enough ranting for one night, but with jobs so damn scarce I resent tax credits
being used to create jobs in foreign countries.

Dan

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 21:06:54 -0500
Subject: [elky] Re: A slightly unusual battery charger
From: elcam84@xxxxxxxxx
To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Eventually I plan to do solar panels on the shop and a grid
tie inverter. Panels have come way down in price in the last year. There are
some as low as 75 cents a watt( not in a case) and ready to bolt to roof ones
for as low as $1.34 a watt and these are polycrystaline not the cheaper
amorphous like the HF kit. Even evergreen brand ones are available for $1.54 a
watt and they come with 20-30 year warranties depending on brand etc.

                Now weather you go with a single sunnyboy inverter or a micro
inverter on each panel is the decision... DC cables don't need to be in conduit
but AC does so a correct install of the micro inverters takes quite a bit of
liquitite and fittings. The dc lines run about 600 volts going into the
inverter and up to 1000 is possible with some panels.

               I'd like to eventually cover the shop roof with them. 20x60 roof
so can fit quite a few panels and in full sun all day all year long after I cut
one ugly tree down. Not sure which inverter direction I want to go when I get
to that point.

                 The best prices on solar panels is http://www.sunelec.com/ If
they were local I'd pick up a panel here and there and get started on it 200
watts at a time.

                                    Robert Adams

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

yeah, but you might find one at a county auction?

then, of course there is always Midnight Highway Equipment, they ARE trailer
ready,.....

Here in NC the highway road crew's have them along the road on utility
trailers. Hmmmmmmmmmm they are already on wheels, I wonder how long they will
last? They are expensive.