[edm-announce] Deadline Extended: GEDM 2015 Graph-Based Educational Data Mining

  • From: Stephen Fancsali <sfancsali@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edm-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 17:12:07 -0400

[on behalf of Collin F. Lynch]

The Second International Workshop on: Graph-Based Educational Data
Mining (GEDM 2015)

https://sites.google.com/a/ncsu.edu/gedm2015/

Held in Conjunction with the 8th International Conference on
Educational Data Mining

June 26 - June 29, 2015

UNED, Madrid, Spain

*** Title and abstract due April 5th. ***
*** Final submissions due April 12th. ***

Graph data has become increasingly prevalent in data-mining and data
analysis. Many types of data can be represented naturally as graphs
including social network data, log traversal, and online discussions.
Such data has grown exponentially in volume as courses have moved
online and educational technology has been incorporated into the
traditional classroom. Recent work on tutorial interactions online
resource use, and argumentation has highlighted educationally relevant
data that lends itself to graphical analysis including: graphical
solution representations such as argument diagrams; interaction logs;
social networks in learner communities, and online discussion forums.

While data of this type has grown increasingly common it has only
recently been approached by analysts, and no strong community of
researchers focused on graph-based data exists. Such a community is
important to foster useful interactions, share tools and techniques,
and to explore common problems. This workshop will provide a forum
for interested researchers to discuss ongoing work, share lessons
learned, and to identify common challenges. Researchers are
encouraged to discuss prior analyses of graph data and to demonstrate
novel mining techniques. We are also welcome discussions of
in-progress work from researchers seeking to identify suitable sources
of data or appropriate analytical tools.

Our goal in the present workshop is to continue that collaboration and
to expand the community of interested researchers to include members
of the EDM community. We believe that the problems and techniques
discussed previously are relevant to the EDM community. We also
believe that the EDM 2015 focus on large-scale data presents an
opportunity to address novel problems with the massive datasets under
discussion.

The advent of large-scale online instruction, the use of online
instructional materials and tutoring technologies, and the rise of
social media has produced an explosion of graph-based educational
data. Analyzing such data can help to answer a range of important
questions such as:

* What path(s) do high-performing students take through online
educational materials?
* What social networks can foster or depress learning?
* Do users of online learning tools behave as we expect them to do so?
* What substructures are commonly found in student-produced diagrams?
* Can we use prior student data to identify students' solution plan, if
any?
* Can we use prior student data to provide meaningful hints in
complex domains?
* Can we identify students who are particularly helpful in a course?

These questions are important to educators and researchers in a
variety of domains. All of them can be addressed applying general
graph analysis methods to appropriate datasets. And many of these
analyses can draw on common graph techniques such as community
detection and graph grammars. Our goal in this workshop is to help
foster a community of interested researchers who can identify and
deploy shared analytical tools and common research questions.

We held the first international workshop on Graph-Based Educational
Data-Mining at EDM2014 in London. The workshop was a success with
over 30 attendees and 12 publications. This workshop will build upon
the prior event by providing a forum to present mature work in this
area, incorporating group discussions to cover shared issues, and
presenting a venue for individual networking and collaboration.

Paper Formats
We particularly welcome submission of in-progress work both from
students and researchers with problems who are seeking appropriate
tools, and developers of graph analysis tools who are seeking new
challenges. We will accept long papers, short papers, and poster/demo
submissions. All submissions should be novel and not previously
published work.

Long papers should be from describe mature work and be from 7-8 pages long.

Short papers should be 5 pages long and describe planned research;
existing datasets that would be amenable to graphical analysis; or
data mining tools that are available for use.

Poster and demo submissions should be 3 pages and should present an
overview of the planned content. Posters and demos should be focused
on available datasets and tools and be designed to foster discussion.

Papers should be submitted in the EDM 2015 latex and word formats:
http://educationaldatamining.org/EDM2015/index.php?page=submission

Submission
Papers should be submitted via EasyChair
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=gedm2015

Organization
The workshop will be organized as a mini-conference with time set
aside for short presentations, collaborative discussion, and demos.
More information on the presentation formats will be made available
once the final submissions are selected.

Important Dates (Deadline Extended).
5 April 2015 - Title and optional abstract due.
12 April 2015 - Final submission due.
26 April 2015 - Acceptance notification.
3 May 2015 - Final CRC due.

Sincerely:
Dr. Collin F. Lynch,
Dr. Tiffany Barnes,