[Eagle3D] Good and bad news

  • From: Matthias Weisser <matthias@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eagle3d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:23:09 +0200

Hi to all Eagle3D users out there

I have good and bad news today.

The bad one first:

It will take some additional weeks until the release of Eagle3D 1.10. And it will be the _last_ release of Eagle3D but please continue to read this mail.

Here is the good one:

Eagle3D will be replaced by a new project called pcb3D. pcb3D will start at the same point where Eagle3D stops. As a collection of POVRay models of electronic components and an ULP written for Eagle. The development of pcb3D will be done on sourceforge.net so that it is possible for others to join the development. I have a couple of new ideas (so please comment them)

- Other input formats
  Eagle will be the main data source at the beginning but I hope to add
  others if there is some demand.
- Other output formats
POVRay is nice and produces fantastic images but it doesn't allow real
  time rendering. So I will add some triangle based output format which
  can also be used in mechanical CAD programs.
- Real time preview
  I will add a real time preview feature to pcb3D.

The main question to all of you who have contributed any 3D objects to Eagle3D is today: Do you have any objections that I use the stuff you send me in the new project? As I plan to change the license (pcb3D will be a GPL program/collection of tools) I would like to ask everyone. If someone don't want his stuff in pcb3D please contact me. I will then remove it from source before putting the stuff on sourceforge.

--
Matthias Weißer
matthias@xxxxxxxxx