[duxuser] sharing a local printer in Vista

  • From: "Barrett, Don" <Don.Barrett@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:35:29 -0500

Hi All,

Because of our Vista locked down settings administered by the Office of
Management and Budget, I am unable to print to an embosser which is attached as
a local printer to another computer on the network at our Federal agency.  This
would require sharing out the other box and that is absolutely forbidden;
sharing out the printer on the other computer isn't enough as I still can't see
the other pc due to the lock down.

I am told that the answer is to turn the local printer into a networked printer
through a parallel to Ethernet converter box.  Does anyone have a
recommendation on the best one to get?  Will this work with a Braille embosser?
 Thanks.

Don Barrett
Section 508 Coordinator
U.S. Dept. of Education