[duxuser] Re: print and braille numbers both in contents

  • From: WarrenDFig@xxxxxxx
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:07:42 EST

Teri,

I have to smile when I saw your message because it reminded me of a
discussion about contents pages when Committee V, the UEBC Formats Committee,
was
doing its work. I learned very quickly that in other parts of the world, it  is
common to see both print and braille pages in the table of contents and when
US folks suggested that including the braille pages was redundant, it raised a
firestorm and the issue was labeled a "bombshell."

I suppose it's simply what you're used to.

Braille Formats says "Only print page numbers that are  listed in the print
table of contents must be given in the braille table of  contents." However,
some NLS magazines show both print and braille pages numbers  in the table of
contents:

The print page colum come first followed by the braille pages. The numbers
are left-adjusted in each column.

                 ,,3t5ts             ;iii

   ,title                      ,pr9t  ,brl
,page ,page

                 ,,"p ,,"o
,! ,hawaiians1 0,paul ,!r\x #b     #cj
,a c5tury af  ,hawaiians
lo/ _! k+dom & m* (  _!
culture1 a new g5],n is
4cov]+ xs  roots--& "s (
!m want _! isl&s back4
;,x-ray ,vi.n1 0,mi*ael
,klesius """"""""""""""""  #db   #ge

Warren

In a message dated 3/18/2005 12:41:48 AM Central Standard Time,
teri@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

This has  got me thinking so am sending a separate message with new subject
to avoid  confusion.

Is there ever a situation where both braille and  print page numbers would be
included in a contents page, and if so, how is  this done in dbt?  How is it
shown in braille?  Which comes first,  print or braille?  I suspect one set of
numbers would need to be inserted  manually.  Do the braille code rules say
anything about  this?