[duxuser] Re: page numbering

  • From: Tina Jensen <livin4advntr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 08:11:30 -0700

Thank you for this info. I would really like to learn how to format styles in a
Word doc, but unfortunately I haven't as of yet and do better in the
translating software with the short-cut keys to translate it faster. Whenever I
try to do this in Word it just brings frustration. I would have liked to have
been one of your students to learn all of the Word tricks. (smile)
So thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly.

Subject: [duxuser] Re: page numbering
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 13:34:00 +0000
From: george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Tina,

This is a pet baby of mine, so please allow me to pitch in.

Many document which transcribers have to produce in braille originate in Word.
If you get a well prepared, well styled Word document, you usually find that
when imported into Duxbury, you have very little to do  other than translate.

The problem often is that many long time users of Word still don’t know how to
use it properly.  When I do training courses, I usually start by showing
students how to create a Table of Contents using one of my own well prepared
documents.  This usually results in all manner of comments ranging from “Wow!”
to “I wish I’d know how to do that when I was writing my University Thesis!”

That’s my cue to start showing how and what Styles are used for in Word.

After that, it’s on to Templates, where I show the application of a Large Pint
Template, and that’s dealt with large print.

And finally we deal with braille.

All from the one single document, with little or no extra work.

Of course if someone still wants to re-type the whole thing into a braille
program again, that’s fine by me, but rather a waste of time and resource.

George.

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 04:37:25 +0000
From: george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To begin with, see Help: Codes, Styles and Templates: Codes: Page Numbering:
Print Page Numbers.

How are you preparing your documents?  Hopefully it's with Word for Windows, in
which case I can give you some further details to help do this.

George.