[duxuser] Re: literart brf to nemeth

  • From: "Susan" <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 11:48:33 -0500

I strongly recommend you download the DAISY files from Bookshare instead of
the brf files. You can use the xml file from the group of DAISY files to
produce braille. This is especially true for math and foreign language, but
as a general rule it's the best option all the way around when it comes to
textbooks. Braille from Bookshare is produced automatically, so you will not
get the same quality you get when you are in control of the process.

Sherry, you'll have much better luck starting with the DAISY file than
trying to retrofit the brf. It's important to know that current law does not
require math in NIMAS files, and math equations are routinely provided as
images. All of the equations will need intervention on your part.

When you download the DAISY files, you'll often have the option to download
it with the images (usually jpg). While most of the images aren't of value
for braille, images for bar graphs, pie charts, line graphs, etc., can be
helpful as a starting point for tactile graphics. How that is done is
dependent on your particular method of production. You will NOT get tactile
graphics from Bookshare. Some books will have descriptions for images, but
those should be double-checked.

Susan