[duxuser] Re: enterprise moon

  • From: "Neal Kuniansky" <Neal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:09:23 -0500

Hello:

If you have DBT WIN you can do Moon.  You just need an Embosser capable of
producing good Moon.  Enabling Technologies has Moon Enabled Embossers.  I
believe their non Moon embossers can be upgraded.  But, you best check with
Enabling to be sure.

To the best of my knowledge Enabling Technologies is the only company
that has undertaken the time and effort to create a Dotty (braille graphic)
Moon font.  This was done over several years in c collaborative effort with
RNIB, NLB (National Library for the Blind UK), and the Moon Institute, as
well as Duxbury Systems.  DBT WIN does produce contracted Moon and is in use
for this in the UK.  There were multiple iterations with readability tests
by Moon readers of various ages.

Therefore you might want to ask the Embosser manufacturer if they have a
certified Dotty Moon font.

At a conference of Braille publishers in the UK there were several Embosser
manufacturer's reps showed Moon produced on non-Enabling machines.  It
looked great to the sighted readers.  It was not readable by Moon readers.

The Enabling DottyMoon font is not public domain.

Neal
neal@xxxxxxxxxx