[duxuser] Re: acronyms

  • From: WarrenDFig@xxxxxxx
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:00:15 EDT

Wouldn't it be nice if there were an acronym sniffer  utility in a braille
production program that would work like a  spell  checker. It would give a
braillist a list of possible acronym needing  attention. It would certainly be
handy for the transcriber of administrivial  documents.
Warren

In a message dated 6/18/2005 7:46:00 AM Central Standard Time,
braille@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The  tendency to refer to things by alphabet is farly recent. Thus when the
contraction for according was introduced, AC did not refer to air
concitioning, electrical wiring or, in parts of the North East, U.S.,
Atlantic City. The IT and AS contractions cause problems in codes and
catalog numbers also. E.g. 256-as-w. One of my customers has these complex
codes all the time and the accidental translation of an as combination as
a z is a serious handicap. Some day those who revise contracted Braille
periodically will see the wisdom of repealing these problematical
contractions. Until then, my practice is to spell out any and all acronyms
even though it is often  inconvenient.
Catherine