[duxuser] acronyms

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:44:37 -0400 (EDT)

The tendecy to refer to things by alphabet is farly recent. Thus when the contraction for according was introduced, AC did not refer to air concitioning, electrical wiring or, in parts of the North East, U.S., Atlantic City. The IT and AS contractions cause problems in codes and catalog numbers also. E.g. 256-as-w. One of my customers has these complex codes all the time and the accidental translation of an as combination as a z is a serious handicap. Some day those who revise contracted Braille periodically will see the wisdom of repealing these problematical contractions. Until then, my practice is to spell out any and all acronyms even though it is often inconvenient.
Catherine