[duxuser] Re: Why Six-key Entry?

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:27:48 -0400

Hello Alan:

I could not disagree more fundamentally and categorically with your
statement "Until DBT does a flawless job of translating the print file
to braille there is going to be a need to edit the braille
file--easier done in 6-key".  To put it bluntly, your statement is
balderdash and a load of cods wallop and, in my opinion and
experience, totally untrue.

I am not saying that it is easy to get round some of DBT's failings,
foibles, inconsistencies and quirks, that being said, the previously
mentioned difficulties can be got around if you are prepared to take
the time and trouble and make the effort to learn its codes and how
they work, you can produce well formatted, flawless, high quality
braille documents when you prepare your files for transcription with
the print editor.

I prepare all of my files for transcription in the print editor.  When
I proofread a braille document, if and when I find errors, I make the
changes in the print file, then I re-transcribe the file, and check to
make sure that the corrections have been performed correctly.

As a Braille transcriber, I take a great deal of pride in the
ultra-high quality standard of braille transcription I am able to
produce with DBT.  This is because when I got DBT, I made the
conscious decision, that if I was going to produce braille for sale, I
was determined that it had to be the best and highest quality
possible.

So, from the beginning, I made it my business to learn all I could
about DBT, its styles and how to create and modify them, how to use
the format and transcription codes, I learned and I am still learning
how to get around the previously mentioned difficulties and problems
so I can produce the highest quality standard of braille.

I was helped and continue to be helped to achieve my goal by Don
Breeder who answered and continues to answer my questions regarding
DBT and Steve Matzura, who is a certified braille
transcriber/proofreader and like me, is only interested in producing
and reading nothing but the highest quality braille possible.  With
Don's help and Steve's expert constructive criticisms, help and
comments, I adjusted the parameters in DBT's styles to produce the
results automatically when applying the appropriate styles in any
documents I prepare.

As for 6 key entry, I can do it but I have a tendency to try and use
the other keys on the keyboard when I am thinking ahead of myself.  I
personally find it easier to use the ASCII character representations
rather than using 6 key input.  It is a matter of personal preference
as to the method you choose to use.  neither method is the correct or
incorrect method.

As I have said on this list before, "if a job is worth doing, not only
do it well but, do it right".

It is said that a pore work person who does not know how to do a job
properly or, a work person who knows how to do a job but does it badly
or poorly, always blames their tools.  Therefore, it is easy to blame
DBT when the resulting braille file does not produce the desired
result, especially if you do not want to take the time and effort,
cannot be bothered/prepared to take the time and effort, or you are
too lazy to take the time and effort to learn even the most basic and
fundamental functions of the program and how they work, you will
always be a pore quality transcriber and as a result, you will always
produce poor quality braille.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber