[duxuser] Re: Why Six-key Entry?

  • From: "Sharon Hilton" <SHilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:21:52 -0600

I use Perky Duck to keep my six-key entry skills up for when I need to
use a manual brailler. I do most of my transcribing on the computer but
once in a while I will have to do something in the classroom, "on the
fly," that the teacher forgot to get to me ahead of time.

Sharon Hilton
Braille Transcriber/Inclusion Assistant
New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
shilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> easjolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/07/05 8:04 AM >>>

Noting the recent questions about Perky Duck reminded me once again of
my
curiosity about six-key entry.  Why do transcribers use six-key instead
of
ASCII Braille?  One reason for asking this question is I'm wondering if
the
transcriber shortage in the US would be eased if transcribers weren't
expected to learn six-key.
Thanks,
SusanJ