[duxuser] Re: Question about transcriber's note

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:58:57 -0400

Hello Ann:

First of all, under (BANA) rules, as far as I am aware, it is not
necessary to leave a blank line either before of following a
"transcriber's note".

Secondly, a transcriber's note is denoted by the dots 6, 3 in two
adjoining cells immediately preceding and immediately following the
transcriber's note, without the words "Transcriber's Note" or the word
"note" being included.  Although, there is nothing preventing you
including something like "Transcriber's Note", to add emphasis, if you
so wish.

Third, if you are using 10.5, in the template "English (American
Textbook DE) - BANA",  there is a style called "TranscriberNote."  I
have examined this style.  There are no "conditional" or
"unconditional" codes for leaving a blank line either before or
following the transcriber's note.

You can create a style called "TranscriberNote." in your own template
by following the steps below:

Please note:  Some of the codes shown in the "Beginning codes" and
"Ending Codes" are different from the ones used in the
"TranscriberNote." style, mentioned above.  The reason for this was
that I have not had a chance to test the hierarchy code used in the
abovementioned style to make sure it works correctly in the rest of
the templates, included with DBT 10.5.  However, the two [ind] codes
and the [tab] code that I have used instead, will work just as well,
not just in Version 10.5 but, they will work equally as well in
previous versions of DBT.  So, you can create the following template
for your particular version of DBT.

1.  Open the document where you want to use the "TranscriberNote."
style or, open a new file and select the template that you want to add
the style.

2.  Press <ALT+D> to open the "Document" menu.

3.  Press <A> to open the "Add style" dialog.

4.  In the "style name" edit field type the following style name
exactly as shown:

TranscriberNote.

The period at the end of the style name is very important because this
is how DBT determines that this style is not to be treated as a nested
style but, it is to be treated as a block style that surrounds blocks
of text such as transcriber's notes, headings, paragraphs, lists,
outlines, etc.

5.  Press the <TAB> key once to move to the "Style can be nested
within another style".  By default, this check box is checked.  As
this style is a block style, it cannot be nested within other styles.
Press the <SPACEBAR> to uncheck it.

6.  Press the < TAB> key to move to the OK button and press <ENTER> to
open the dialogs where you enter the beginning and ending style codes.

7.  In the "beginning Codes" edit field enter the following codes:

[l][ind5][tab7][q~,']

8.  When you have finished entering the above codes, press the <TAB>
key once to move to the "Ending Codes" edit field and enter the
following codes:

[q~,'][ind1][l]

9.  When you have finished entering the above codes, press the <TAB>
key to move to the OK button and Press the <ENTER> key.  DBT closes
the dialog and returns you to the document window.

10.  If you want to use this style in the future, You will have to
save it to the template file.

11.  Press <ALT+D> to open the "Document" menu.

12.  Press <C> to open the "Create Template" dialog.  The default
prompt is "Untitled Template".  If you want to create a new template,
type the name of the template in this edit field and press <ENTER> or,
press <TAB> to move to the OK button and press <ENTER>.  In either
case, DBT closes the dialog and returns you to the document window.

13.  If you want to overwrite an existing template with the new style
added, follow the steps in 11 and 12.  Do not type anything in the
"Create Template" edit field.  Instead, press the <TAB> key once to
move to the list of existing templates.

14.  Press the <DOWN ARROW> key until the template you want to replace
is highlighted.

15.  Press <ENTER>.  DBT Version 10.5 displays the following prompt:

A template of that name already exists.  Would you like to overwrite
it?

Note:  The prompt may vary depending on the version of DBT you are
using.

The default prompt is "No".  If you press <ENTER> on this prompt, DBT
closes the dialog and returns you to the document window with no
changes having been made to the template.  If you want to overwrite
the existing template with the new style added, press "Y" for yes or
press the <TAB> once to move to the "Yes" button and press <ENTER>.
In either case, DBT overwrites the template, closes the dialog and
returns you to the document window.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber