[duxuser] Re: Open Score vs Standard Score Format

  • From: "William R. McCann" <BillList1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:18:45 -0400

Dear Victoria,

I've never tried to do any kind of editing like that which you describe.  If
the braille file's not too large, it could be manually edited.

I suppose one could write a program that could automate the process of
stripping out unwanted line and measure heading, etc. from the electronic
braille file of the score and even repaginating if need be.  If each line in
the open score has a unique instrument abbreviation in the margin, then the
program could find and delete those lines based on that search criterion.
Of course, make a back-up of original before beginning such tinkering!

If you have the source notation file or if you wish to create one, Dancing
Dots' GOODFEEL software has a great deal of flexibility for creating the
braille for selected parts in a score.  GOODFEEL can create an ensemble
transcription, one transcription for each of the 4 voices, and a
bar-over-bar transcription of the accompaniment based on available
transcription options.  All information must be in the source Lime file.
With GOODFEEL 3, one can import MusicXML versions of scores which can be
exported from such popular commercial notation software as Sibelius and
Finale.

A couple of important things to know: the current version of GOODFEEL can
show both words and music only for individual vocal parts.  In other words,
GOODFEEL can not yet produce a standard vocal score (the music lay-out that
shows all vocal parts with words and music) although it can produce
instrumental scores (the music lay-out that shows the notes for all
instruments but no lyrics).  So, in your example, GOODFEEL can show
individual music lines for Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass (SATB) in a score
format but not the words for all 4 parts as would be expected in a vocal
score.  All we need to add such support to the software is time and money
(smile)!

Also, with more time and money, we can teach GOODFEEL to automatically
transcribe pieces that show multiple verses of lyrics.  Presently, GOODFEEL
only automatically brailles words for verse 1 for individual parts.  For
example, we can ask GOODFEEL to braille both the words and music for the
tenor part and the tenor will see a line of lyrics followed by the music
line for those words in each music parallel on the braille page.  Verses 2
and beyond can be shown as literary braille below music transcription.  This
solution will work particularly well now that we have our first release of
an optional integration with Duxbury.  Otherwise, one must edit the music
source file to copy and paste the music for verse 1 to create music for
verses 2 and beyond.  Then manually type in lyrics where they belong.

I invite anyone who's interested in greater detail to write me off-list at
my info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx address.

HTH,
Bill

  _____