[duxuser] Re: New user needs basics

  • From: Ray Dawson <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:25:23 +0000 (GMT)

In article <00e001c525e1$8c6473f0$f07a94d1@teri>, Terri Pannett
<pann1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Duxbury will automatically translate paragraphs correctly.  But for
> some reason unknown to me, it offen interprets ASCII text documents as
> poetry. But the poem code can be deleted.

> Actually, centering text is simple.  Place your cursor at the beginning
> of the text to be centered.  Press f8 to bring up the styles list.
> press h. That should bring you to the heading style.  Press enter.
> Your text will be centered like a heading.  You don't have the
> highlight anything to get the style to work.

Thanks Terri. Perhaps I should explain the way I work at present - which
is on a different platform to Windows.

Most of the documents I receive for brailling are print which I scan to
extract the text.

I then go through the text inserting codes - all of which are on
keystrokes - to tell the braille software to centre, right align, or
italicise. I can also put a code in front of characters which need
lettersigns etc.

I then skim through the braille file in computer braille to remove widows
and orphans etc.

It's a very quick process.

However, my current braille software hasn't been supported for years and
in the UK we have some major changes to English braille. I'm looking for
Windows software that has either adopted the changes already, or will be
in the near future. Neither of the other two braille software packages in
the UK intend to make those changes and Winbraille doesn't even produce
braille to the current English rules.

I was hoping that DBT would be suitable, but so far haven't managed to
make it do simple things. I have been through the Help file, but can't
find ways of doing simple things. For Italic, it says no keystroke. For
Centering, highlight and press Shift F7. For Right Align it seems to
require separate codes inserted, but so far I can only align one word.
There doesn't seem to be a keystroke for what is a basic facility.

I have set up the embosser options for A4 paper 30 chacters wide, but the
DBT translation comes out at 40 characters.

What I was looking for in the Help, or elswhere was a list of keypresses
- or the means of setting them up - to do my basic requirements. Once I
know that DBT can do them I would purchase it and progress to using it
for Word documents etc.

I also haven't yet found a way of adding exceptions and changing rules
etc. Is there a way of doing this?

Cheers,

Ray D