[duxuser] Re: Nemeth Question

  • From: "Alyssa" <lyssassong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:41:37 -0500

Hi David,

Thanks. After looking at the link you sent as well as the Nemeth code book,
I'm still scratching my head. Granted, I only skimmed through the material,
but I still do not see exactly what I am looking for. I also called NBP, but
their reference sheets don't cover this either.

I'm going to try to paste something in below that my professor gave us to
see if this gives you any more specific idea of what I am looking for, but
before I do that, let me try to further clarify what I am seeing in the
book. For example, what he is referring to in class as sigma sub-M is
supposed to stand for standard error. In braille, I am seeing the Greek
letter sign of dots 4-6, the letter s, followed by dots 5-6, a capital sign
and the letter m. There is another type of standard error for a sample, but
this one does not have the Greek letter indicator before it. So basically
what I am looking for is a sheet that describes all of these oddities in a
nice, easy-to-read way. If what I am attempting to paste from our stats site
works well, the below information is similar to what I want to have in
braille. I'm going to try to get this particular sheet transcribed, but the
problem I have is that there isn't anyone at the university who knows the
Nemeth code. My book was sent off to transcribers in California, so it's
rare that anything must be directly transcribed by university staff.

I really appreciate any help on this matter.

Below are the following symbols and their meaning.

N = the number of observations (participants or objects) in a sample (sample
size)

X = a single value on a distribution of scores or means

Σ = tells us to add all the values that follow this symbol

M = the average of observations in a sample

SD = the standard deviation for a sample

SD2 = the variance for a sample

μ = the average of a population on a distribution of scores

σ = the standard deviation for a population on a distribution of scores

σ2= the variance for a population on a distribution of scores

μM = the average of a population on a distribution of means

σM = the standard deviation for a population on a distribution of means

σ_M^2= the variance for a population on a distribution of means

s = the estimated standard deviation for a population on a distribution of
scores based on a sample

s2= the estimated variance for a population on a distribution of scores
based on a sample

sM = the estimated standard deviation for a population on a distribution of
means based on a sample

s_M^2= the estimated variance for a population on a distribution of means
based on a sample

d = the effect size (difference between two population distributions)

df = degrees of freedom (the number of values in a dataset that are free to
vary)

-Alyssa