[duxuser] Re: Languages

  • From: "Janet Reynolds" <JReynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:43:29 +1300

Hi Karen
The definition of Maori Braille is in "World Braille Usage" which I think you
can get from NLS. The only contraction is wh which is pronounced as an f in
some regions and as a w in others. Maori has a restricted alphabet with
consonants h, k, m, n, ng, p, r, t, w and wh. Ng is a separate sound but is
written in Braille as n then g. The five vowels all have long and short sounds.
The long one is either written as a double vowel, eg aa, or with a macron ( a
horizontal line above the letter). In braille the macron is represented by dots
456 before the letter. The maori code [lng~mao] does two things. It makes
everything uncontracted except wh, and it also puts in the macron, provided you
use accented letters with the diaresis or umlaut (two dots over the letter,
available in the code list). I think with 10.5 it will accept the Unicode
macronned letters but I haven't tested that yet.
Hope that helps
Janet

Janet Reynolds
Secretary, Braille Authority of New Zealand