[duxuser] Re: Index D Manual

  • From: "Laura Brauer" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:25:32 -0500

Thanks for the insight, Jo.

Laura J. Brauer

Cat's Meow Braille Transcription

P. O. Box 8289

Wichita, KS  67208-0289

(316) 619-4750

info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.catsmeowbraille.com

CMBT LOGO FILE

From: duxuser-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:duxuser-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jo Taliaferro
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:17 PM
To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [duxuser] Re: Index D Manual

I think the biggest problem with the manual is that it not only covers
information about the Index D embosser but also a few other embossers as
well.  My braille manual is put together in such a way that the information
for one embosser is not separated from the other embossers so, in a way,
it's like slogging through a table format to figure out which instructions
are for which embosser.  On the Basic D,  the letter a on the embosser is
not very useful since it is by default, for printing  uncontracted braille.
The b settings are the ones which, by default, use contracted braille and
8-and-one-a-half by 11 inch paper.  The letter c, by default, uses 11 inch
by 11.5 inch paper.  My experience is that these settings can be overridden
by what you set in DBT.  I don't know much about using the DBT codes but
when I translate a Word document in which I've used different heading
levels, the formatting doesn't come out right.  I'm taking a course to try
to get all that straight in my head and when I'm done, I hope I don't feel
as inadequate in Duxbury as I do now.

Jo Taliaferro

empowering people to live with their choices