[duxuser] Re: Basic D embosser version, George

  • From: "Jo Taliaferro" <soaringeagle7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:29:36 -0500

George!!!  I made a dumb mistake!  Version is: 12.2.2.
I can import a document into Duxbury and can translate it with the command,
control plus t.  I have all printer drivers downloaded and I have configured
the printer as follows:  Baud rate 9600 1 stop bits and no parity None.
When the translated braille file is loaded into Duxbury, I go to the
Embosser setup menu to set margins:  top margin 1,  bottom 0, right margin 0
and left margin 1.  32 cells per line is my default.  Paper is 11 inches
long and 8.5 inches wide and set to Portrait.  Paper has only the tractor
feed holes on either side which I align so paper just touches the long,
square bar across the embosser in the printer and over which the plate fits
after the side sprockets are locked down.  I was told that the left sprocket
should always be kept as far to the left as possible so I can then move the
right tractor feed mechanism where I need it to align the paper.   When I
press the ff key on the embosser, the paper feeds through as one might
expect so I press the ff key twice and I figure I'm all set.  When I press
control plus e, I might get a page or two of braille but then I hear the
embosser grind and hear,  "Out of paper".  I gently take the paper from the
embosser and find that it has not fed through the rubber cylinders into the
back of the cabinet.  The top edge of the first page feels as if a mouse has
eaten it so it is jagged and has scrambled braille on it.  The double-sided
braille is unreadable and so I cancel the print job and any that might be
pending.  I have tried aligning the left and right margins differently by
moving the tractor feed sprockets and making sure they are clamped down.  I
have made sure the embosser is set up the way I think it should be by
looking at the setup groups, items and values and I have made certain that
the Basic D embosser is set to be the default printer.

I had about ten minutes of training in the use of the Basic D and I have
read what I could find regarding Duxbury version 10.7.  Using a laptop with
USB port and Office 2007 where I have saved the document as a 97-2003 word
document.  Not sure what else I need to tell you except that I just signed
up to take an online course in the use of Duxbury from the Carroll Center in
Boston.

Jo Taliaferro
empowering people to live with their choices