[duxhelp] Re: roman numerals

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:32:43 +0100

Hi David,

Just so that everyone knows what we are talking about, (or perhaps I should say
"up against"!!) I thought I would copy the relevant section from the new,
"British Braille".

Why do there always have to be exceptions?

George.

6.7. ROMAN NUMERALS

6.7.1. Roman numerals are generally coded according to the standard rules on
the letter sign (5.6.2 and 5.6.6), and the rules on capitals (e.g. 5.2.2).
However, for capital Roman numerals consisting of 2 or more letters, the
capital word indicator is always used (regardless of the normal preference rule
in 5.2.10). If capitals are not generally being shown, upper case Roman
numerals are treated as if lower case, unless the distinction between upper and
lower case Roman numerals needs to be preserved.

Examples:

v          ;v

V         ;,v

ii          ;ii

II         ,,ii

xxxiv   ;xxxiv

XXXIV           ,,xxxiv

6.7.2. As an exception to 5.6.2, where a Roman numeral brailled as lower case
is followed by an abbreviation point, both the letter sign and abbreviation
point should be retained.

Example:

xii.       ;xii4

6.7.3. As required by the rules for the letter sign and capital indicators,
Roman numerals joined by a hyphen or dash are treated separately as regards
these composition signs.

Examples:

lxxxix‑cxliv     ;lxxxix‑;cxliv

VIII‑XIII        ,,viii‑,,xiii

VIII‑X            ,,viii‑;,x

lv–lxxxix         ;lv‑‑;lxxxix

6.7.4. Letters following Roman numerals are brailled according to 5.6.8.

Examples:

XVa    ,,xv;a

XVa    ;xv;a   (not showing capitals)

iiB       ;ii,b

iiB       ;ii;b   (not showing capitals)

Roman numerals may also be used in conjunction with Arabic numbers. (In the
example the print stop separator is omitted in braille in accordance with
6.1.7.)

Example:

Hamlet IV.2    ,hamlet ,,iv#b

6.7.5. Roman numerals should be separated from their ordinal terminations by
the abbreviation point, and the case of terminations may generally be ignored.
Contractions may be used in terminations unless preceded by the letter sign.
Note that both methods of coding foreign accents are possible.

Examples:

xth       ;x4?

Xth      ,x4?

xxist    ;xxi4/