[duxhelp] handing of numbered lists in TeX/LaTeX documents

  • From: "Joanmarie Diggs" <joanmarie.diggs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:57:44 -0400

Hi all.  This is not new to 10.6 so it's more of a feature request and
question.  Hope no one minds.

When I create a document in Scientific Notebook and format text to be a
Heading1 or Heading2, Duxbury maps my text upon import to be an H1. or H2.
However, when I format text in Scientific Notebook as a numbered list,
Duxbury applies the para. style.  The same behavior, of course, occurs in
Word when you use automatic numbering instead of the List Number style.  I'd
happily use the appropriate style in Scientific Notebook, but I'm not
convinced there is one.  Is there? (that's the question part of this message
<smile>)

Assuming there's not a style I can choose which will map to Duxbury's List.
style.... I took a gander at a Scientific Notebook document in Word Pad.  As
best as I can tell, the conversion seems to be pretty straightforward.  For
instance:

\section{My Heading} in SN becomes <h1.>My Heading</h1.> in DBT.
\subsection{Something Else} in SN becomes <h2.>Something Else</h2.> in DBT

Any place there's a $ in SN, in DBT you get either [ts] or [te].  I assume
the first $ on a line is [ts] and the second [te].  When DBT sees \item, it
replaces it with a number according to this rule:  The Nth \item in the
document gets an N in front of it.  Thus:

\item $10+5=$
\item $10-5=$

results in:

<para.>1. [ts]10+5[te]</para.>
<para.>2. [ts]10-5[te]</para.>

However, it seems that numbered lists begin with \begin{enumerate} and end
with \end{enumerate}.  Is DBT using them or ignoring them?  Based on the
handling of nested lists I'm guessing the latter.  But more about that in a
moment.  A numbered list of two items looks like:

\begin{enumerate}
\item $10+5=$
\item $10-5=$
\end{enumerate}

So, why not map \begin{enumerate} to <list.>, \end{enumerate} to </list.>
and terminate each \item line with [<]?  That would make importing and
editing numbered SN documents a bit faster.  Plus, if my guess is correct,
this might cause nested lists to be handled better.  Currently, DBT seems to
count each \item without attention to the presence of nested lists.  Thus

\begin{enumerate}
\item $10+5=$
\item $10-5=$
\begin{enumerate}
\item $10\div 5=$
\end{enumerate}
\end{enumerate}

results in

<para.>1. [ts]10+5=[te]</para.>
<para.>2. [ts]10-5=[te]</para.>
<para.>3. [ts]10÷5=[te]</para>

But in SN it is:

1. 10+5=
2. 10-5=
    a. 10÷5=</para>

So.... Am I making sense? <smile>  And is there any chance of such list
handling being added prior to the release of 10.6 or is it a more complex
problem than I realize?

Thanks for your time!
Joanie