[duxhelp] Re: [folds] code

  • From: Susan <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:25:03 -0600

FWIW, MegaDots uses a line of dots 2-5 across braille lines 9 and 18 and
with 8-1/2" width paper fits a business envelope perfectly.

Susan

Peter Sullivan wrote on 3/28/2006, 10:45 AM:

Michael,

We are looking to avoid alogrithms that produce three different sizes of
section. We're aiming instead for an alogrithm that, regardless of the
number of folds, will produce sections of at most two different sizes.

There seems to be some disagreement about how to distribute the larger
and smaller sections, when the sections aren't all of the same size.

Mike is looking for a way to make this something that the end user can
set. So far, we have two preferences:

1. Put the larger section(s) first -- the smaller section(s) following.
2. Put the smaller section(s) first -- the larger section(s) following.

So far, nobody has requested the larger or smaller section(s) be placed
in the middle. This is good -- the fewer variations there are in
preference, the more easily we can understand and adapt to them.

However, let me point out a wrinkle that nobody else has pointed out so far.

If you have an even number of sections greater than two -- perhaps
because you've requested three fold lines (thus four sections) -- I
posit that you would want, if possible, to have the fold lines arranged
symmetrically on the page. This would make it possible to fold once down
the middle, and once again at the now-coincident remaining fold lines.

We wouldn't get this by putting the larger fold section(s) consistently
at the top or at the bottom. A recursive algorithm is necessary to
manage such a case well.

All of which is to beg your patience -- and that of others -- as we try
to tease out a specification on this one. We've put our thinking caps on
too.