[duxhelp] Re: find within a block of text

  • From: Christine Simpson <simpsonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:13:08 +1000

Good morning George,

yes, you are correct in how you think I am using the find and replace. however, it actually seems more complicated than that!

I have typed into DBT three sentences each with a line break between them and each wrapping onto the second line. Each sentence includes the words "cat" .
I then put my cursor at the start of the second sentence and holding down the shift-down arrow I highlight the two lines of text.

With these highlighted I then try the find and replace process as you describe by wishing to replace "cat" with "kitten". I have learned a few things.

1. if I wish to replace a word in that highlighted paragraph I must do a backward search as my cursor is at the end of the highlighted block. - a bit of a trap but can be learned.

2. Assume that I do not know how many times the word "cat" appears in my highlighted text. Again, doing a backward search, I tell DBT to replace all occurrences of the word. My intention is to replace all occurrences within the highlighted text, but DBT goes ahead and replaces all occurrences from the bottom of the highlighted text to the start of the document.

Am I making a mistake somewhere?

The find and replace is a powerful tool, but becomes extremely awkward and time consuming if it is to be used on a large highlighted block of text where each exchange must be individually confirmed. Perhaps a check-box of search and replace highlighted text only may need to be added to the dialogue box.

Many thanks

Christine

At 08:34 PM 5/22/04, you wrote:

Well spotted Christine.  But, just to clarify we are talking the same
here:-

I highlight a paragraph, I then call up Find (or Replace).  Type an
existing word into the Find field, press OK, and a dialog comes up, "DBT
was unable to find the text in the selected area.  Would you like to
search the rest of the document?".

Press No, and up comes, "Text was not found in document".

And if you were in Replace, yet another box, "0 replacements were made".