[duxhelp] Re: Welcome to Duxhelp

  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:05:23 +0100

Hi All,

Following a message from one of our members, I thought I should explain the
temporary delay in getting a new helpfile out.

I've actually stumbled into a bit of a mini hornet's nest which has delayed
things.  The problem (if "problem" is the right word!) is that as I prepare
examples, I've found that the current Code explanations often need more
explanation than I had bargained for.

For example, when doing Decimal Tabs.  Suddenly I find I need to add a topic
called "Alignment - Designated Character".  The obvious case where this is
important, is in Europe, where the numerical thousands separator is a period or
full stop, and the decimal point is a comma.

That's simple enough in itself, until you then realise that in parts of Africa,
the thousands separator is a space, which in turn means making sure Hard Spaces
are explained.

However, then the old memory cells kick in, and I recall what at the time were
tricky questions, one being aligning a column of e-mail addresses so that all
the at signs were in the same column, making it easier to scan down looking for
specific ISPs.

So please bear with me.  You might initially have more to look at than I'd
bargained for.

All the best,

George Bell.