[duxhelp] Re: "Smart" apostrophe

  • From: "Christian Coudert" <ch.coudert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:06:41 +0200

Hello from Paris:

I support Michael's wish. Even in French the translation of this apostrophe
is quite odd (3 characters).

Of course it's possible to modify the behaviour of MS Word (Tools,
Automatical corrections: "Replace " with ­« » ". This works well for next
documents you will type. But for files you receive in attachment or you
download, it can be sometimes quicker to Copy/Paste than to import a Word
file.

FYI: this apostrophe used by Word is the decimal #0146 code (in the 8859-1
or Latin-1 table). You can type it on your own keyboard maintaining the
Alt-key and striking 0146 on the Numpad (with the Num Lock key on).

Bonne journée.

Christian