[duxhelp] Re: Should we allow power users to activate?

  • From: "Michael Surato" <suratomi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:24:16 -0400

It all depends. In the setup here we have a central system (run as
administrator) and several clients (run as users). In this setup I would
not want anyone as users activating or de-activating the software since
this will effect all of the clients. However, in a single system setup,
I would probably want to allow users to activate, but not de-activate.
This will allow me to push the software out via policy, but not to allow
a semi-technical user to de-activate the software maliciously. This is
assuming that this is a multi-user system where the un-install routine
deactivates the software automatically as an administrator. A single
user system is assumed to have administrator privileges, and thus a moot
point to discuss.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      Resource Center for Persons          |
|           with Disabilities               |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            120 Bessey Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-9643 Fax: (517) 432-3191 |