[duxhelp] Request for input on DBT installation

  • From: David Holladay <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:00:07 -0500

Hello, Testers;

I need you opinion on an issue regarding what happens when DBT boots up for
the first time.

This involves the Global, Internationalization, Braille Code for Display

Some background is necessary here.

In DBT, if you are looking at a braille file in braille dot font, you see
the actual dot pattern that will hopefully be embossed. If you are looking
at a braille file with an inkprint font, things get more interesting.

In North America, we are used to seeing a full cell represented with an
equal sign. Why? Because that is the way we do it, and all braille devices
set for North American braille know that an equal sign means a full cell.
If you are using a braille display device with a screen review program, the
screen review program looks at the equal sign on the screen and puts a full
cell on the braille display.

But in France, they prefer an accented e as the print representation of a
full cell.

DBT has several different tables. If you want to, you can experiment with
them by selecting Global, Internationalization, Braille Code for Display.
Be sure to have a braille file, and select an inkprint font to view it
(otherwise, nothing changes).

Where things get interesting is that the French do not like the system as
it is. Up till now, when you first boot up
DBT, it defaults to North American. This does not bother Americans at all.
But it is annoying to those who give tech support in France who have to
keep telling people to go to Global, Internationalization, Braille Code for
Display, and then choose "French"

To deal with this, Pete has put in some code that says "If this is the
first time this code is being used, and you are in France", set for French
Braille Code for display.

That is all well and good. But if someone were using a computer 100 meters
into Belgium, (and had told Windows that their nation was Belgium), then
DBT would still default to North American because the nation is not French.

I think it would be a good idea to extend Peter's idea. I offer a proposal.
If we can come to some agreement, then DBT can wake up more
internationalized than before.

Step 1:

If located in France, use French display code
If located in Germany, use German display code
If located in Spain, use Spanish display code
If located in the UK, use the British display code

Step 2:

If located in Europe (i.e. the nation's telephone country code starts with
3 or 4)
  and the language of interface is French, the use French display code
  and the language of interface is German, use the German display code
  and the language of interface is Spanish, use the Spanish display code
?? if the language of interface is English, do we use North American or
Britich display code
(the question is, does nayone outside of the UK ever use the British
display code)

Step 3:
If located outside of Europe ...
(I have no idea of anything but to default to North American)
(I do not know if those in South America use North American settings or
Spanish settings on their braille devices)

Some of you may have noticed that DBT does not have any Italian tables for
braille display. At this point, I do not
have a valid table (defined as a unique, single ASCII character for every
64 braille symbols; no braille symbols left out).
I would welcome a valid Italian table.

Please respond to this. I would like to work this out quickly.

-- David Holladay