[duxhelp] Removing the slsService

  • From: "Michael Surato" <suratomi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:35:36 -0400

Hi,

During the upgrade to beta 4, I followed the recommendation to not
remove the previous beta. As I am running this in a client-server setup,
I had installed the slsService. Now that I am using beta 4, I want to
move the pointer to the service to the new beta (trying a configuration
change). As simply running "slsService -i" in the new directory does not
perform the operation I want, my next idea was to run "slsService -r" to
remove the service (-i for install, so -r for remove, right?) so that I
can then install the service in the new directory. I tried this from
both the old and new directories without success. This brings up a
couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to remove the service without directly editing the
registry? If so, how?
2. Will the installer remove the service automatically? If yes, will it
remove all services called "slsService" or will it only remove the
service if it points to the installation directory?  For example, if I
am successful at pointing this to the new directory, will the installer
remove this service when I remove the old beta?

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      Resource Center for Persons          |
|           with Disabilities               |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            120 Bessey Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-9643 Fax: (517) 432-3191 |