[duxhelp] Progress Report

  • To: "Duxhelp (E-mail)" <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:24:10 +0100

Hi everyone,

Many, many thanks for the feed back so far.

I know it appears to have been quiet from my end lately, but be assured there
is much going on here.

Trying to monitor progress with so many Codes is proving to be quite a tough
exercise in itself, and so I've decided to tackle things from another angle, so
to speak.

You may have looked at the "Codes Quick Reference" Topic, which in itself is a
daunting document, listing all the available DBT codes in strict alphabetical
order.  It also has references to other codes which appear elsewhere in the
list.

Since this is Duxbury's Code Master List, I am treating it as sacrosanct, and
essentially doing nothing to change the order of things.  However, I'm hoping
I've at least made the beginnings of some improvements.

Please don't hate me for this, but I've now made the Code List a Table
comprising two columns.  Code Name and technical explanation are in column 1,
and as I have added "Simplified" explanations, I have added a "Related Topics"
button or link in the second column.  When you click on it, it takes you to the
simpler explanation, and of course the Back button will return you to the table.

I have also added "Hyperlinks" to the many "(See also code [xxx])" items.  I
don't know about you all, but it was driving me mad having to scroll through
pages and pages to get to see what they referred to, by which time I'd
forgotten where I had started.  Now, one command will get you there, and
another will get you back.

I should explain also, that I'm trying to do all of this in such a way that F1
Context Sensitive help can be incorporated where appropriate.  (Although there
is no guarantee of this at this stage)  My own thinking is that of you were
reviewing a document in Coded View, and wanted to check out what a code is
doing, you could highlight it, and press F1 to get an explanation.

Meantime, the biggest headache I've got is classifying the "simple" code
explanation topics in such a way that they are easy to find.  Where does a code
like [idle] fit in the overall scheme, without having a massive "miscellaneous"
section.

Hopefully we'll have another file out to you in a week or so.

Thanks again for all your help.

George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd