[duxhelp] Re: Optional hyphens

  • From: "Mike Gorse" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:39:16 -0400

Hi Michael,

When copying Unicode to the clipboard, it appears that Word 2003 is using the same character for both an optional hyphen and a not sign, even though it records the characters differently internally. It is using U+00AC, which corresponds to a not sign.

So I'm not sure that there is a good way for us to make the hyphens enter correctly into DBT, other than to suggest replacing D+00AA with the assisted hyphen code after the paste. We could make U+00AC paste as a hyphen, but then this would lead to incorrect results where the character is really a not sign, and presumably this action would only be desirable when pasting from Word. It should theoretically be possible to determine whether the data on the clipboard came from Word and act differently if so, but I don't think that we can do this for 10.6.

-Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Surato" <suratomi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>